What You Need to Know About Professional Teeth Cleanings
Benefits of Professional Teeth Cleanings
Professional teeth cleanings offer countless benefits, both for your oral and overall health. Some of the many benefits include:
- Elimination of plaque and tartar, which can lead to tooth decay, gum disease and eventual tooth loss if left untreated
- Better breath through the elimination of bacteria
- A brighter smile through polishing away surface stains from the teeth
- Better overall health, as gum disease has been linked to other serious health conditions like heart disease
The Teeth-Cleaning Process
It's normal to experience some anxiety before an appointment with any doctor, but particularly with a dentist. Professional teeth cleanings are completely painless, however, so there's nothing to be concerned about. In fact, regular teeth cleanings can prevent the need for more extensive dental work in the future, which is what makes them so important. Here's a step-by-step breakdown of the teeth-cleaning process so you'll know what to expect at your next visit to our dental office:
1. Exam: Our dentist will start by simply examining your teeth and gums, looking for early signs of decay and gum disease. When detected early, these issues can be treated with the most non-invasive and least expensive procedures possible.
2. Removal of Plaque & Tartar: After examining your teeth and gums, our dentist will proceed to remove deposits of plaque and tartar, focusing on the areas in particular where bacterial buildup is prone to happen, like the back of your molars. Manual instruments are used to gently scrape away this buildup.
3. Polish & Floss: When all traces of plaque and tartar have been removed, our dentist will polish your teeth using a professional-grade electric toothbrush and a special toothpaste in a flavor of your choice. After polishing the surface of your teeth to eliminate stains, our dentist will floss your teeth to remove any remaining debris and look for further signs of gum disease (i.e. bleeding gums).
4. Rinse & Fluoride: You'll receive a final rinse after the polish and floss and then our dentist will apply fluoride to your teeth. This treatment provides your teeth with added strength and protection against cavities.
It's important to get have teeth professionally cleaned at least twice a year to keep your teeth and gums in the best possible condition. Book your appointment at White House Family Dental Care in White House, Tennessee, by calling 615-334-1440 today.